Monday, November 7, 2011

Special font helps dyslexic readers

New 'Font' outside of the walls of education seem a bit too much, what about "assistive technology".

Moments ago I received a 23 page contract from a new Healthcare Provider Network, I have the "Gift of Dyslexia" and I have to read this contract before I put my signature on the agreement.  No special font, I just highlight and copy to ReadPlease 2003 Plus add my footnotes to the document and send it back with my questions in the footnotes and move on.
Or if the contract is too wordy I will then paste the contract into Balabolka because it reads up to 510 words a minute, so I don't lose my comprehension by my mind drifting; most contract contain a lot of fluff.

The key to unlocking the Gift of Dyslexia is to create an environment which enables me or the person with dyslexia the ability to read.  Who wears glasses, this is in someone's world assistive technology.  Who and what gave Stephen Hawking the ability to pour out new insight to the Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics departments at the University of Cambridge and the world?

We are on the edge of the digital age where we can power up all students by advocating technology, but as it stands we are asking students in most academic settings to "power down".  Who can bring it better than those who have mastered it, through achievement.

Bookshare.org is doing such, all should embrace it with passion, and if you want to know the outcome, ask me or visit My travels with the "gift of dyslexia: www.manateediagnostic.com/davisgraham.aspx and my blog at www.mygiftofdyslexia.blogspot.com

All who touch a child with the Gift of Dyslexia have the ability to send them to the boardrooms or prison cells, I was blessed with compassionate ears and hearts, so my path has placed me in the boardroom.

"Once I was lost now I am found, once was blind to the written word, now I read."

Sincerely,
Davis W. Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment